Guidelines for authors
Papers are to be sent online at: sp.Izvestiya@ue-varna.bg. Acceptance ends with receiving an e-mail of confirmation.
The files of the manuscripts should not include the name, degree and academic position of the author (authors). Information about the authors (name, surname, family name; degree and academic position; current occupation, address of the institution and e-mail address) should be sent in a separate file.
Bulgarian authors submit their manuscripts in Bulgarian and/or English. English language is obligatory for the online journal which is indexed in RePEc (Research Papers in Economics), CEEOL (Central and East European Online Library), ERIH PLUS (European Reference Index for the Humanities and Social Sciences), Scientific Indexing Services, Google Scholar, Academic Resource Index and is included in DOAJ. Foreign authors submit their manuscripts in English.
For sending and publishing their papers authors do not pay fees and are not paid.
The manuscripts received in the “Izvestiya” journal go through the following review process:
- Each received article is to be initially assessed by the editorial board. The editors check on the compliance of the manuscript with the objectives and scope of the journal and the rest of the set requirements.
- If the manuscript meets the requirements of the first stage, it is sent to two independent reviewers. The magazine applies the principle of double-blind review.
- After receiving the feedback reports from the two reviewers, the editorial board decides whether to accept or reject the manuscript. To do this there needs to be unanimous opinion from both reviewers. If their opinions are extremely opposite, the editor-in-chief can require another expert opinion from a third reviewer.
- A manuscript can be accepted without any remarks or with minimal correction. This does not require another check from a reviewer.
- A manuscript can be accepted with a recommendation for substantial correction. This requires for reviewers to confirm again the truthfulness and relevance of their corrections, after that the editor-in-chief makes the decision for publishing the article.
- The manuscript can be returned to its author for substantial rewriting and a second review process.
- In case the manuscript is rejected, its author cannot send it again.
Structure of the manuscript
Requirements about the structure of the manuscript:
- Title – clearly and precisely stated, relatively short.
- Abstract – it must resemble a summary and include the objectives of the research, methodology and results;
- Key words – precise and sufficient, not more than five.
- Introduction - it should state the objectives of the research and the relevance of the scientific problem; it should review the condition of the issue and review references; it should also give the theoretical framework of the research, lead to research questions and hypotheses.
- Methodology and data – the methods used should be correct and include also appropriate references on similar, already published methods. The data shown must come from reliable sources.
- Results and outcomes (conclusions) – the results should be presented clearly and elaborated correctly; they must show a better way of using the data. Conclusions must be significant, valid and supported by proofs.
- Bibliographic sources (references).
The papers suggested for publishing must meet the following technical requirements:
- Manuscripts typed in Word for Windows, font - Times New Roman, font size – 14 pt, line spacing – 1.5 lines.
- Size of tables and charts – not larger than A4. The numeration of tables and charts should be consecutive in the wording of the paper. The use of colour charts, graphs and pictures are not accepted. All tables, figures, charts and images should be editable.
- Margins in cm: top – 2.5, bottom – 2.5, left – 2.5, right – 2.5.
- The title should be typed in caps, without abbreviations (font - Times New Roman, font size - 14 pt, line spacing - 1.5 lines, Bold – Center).
- At the right top corner above the title it is typed index in JEL (Journal of Economic Literature) classification system.
- After the title articles must include an abstract (10-12 lines) and up to 5 key words. The abstract and the key words should be written in Bulgarian and English (for articles in Bulgarian) and only in English for the articles submitted in English.
- Authors' names should be written as follows: Name, Surname, Family name. After the journal is printed no corrections are allowed.
- Listing the used sources and citations is done in compliance with the Harvard short reference system (See examples of description and citation). The Quoted sources of a scientific research paper should be at least 20 and transliteration is obligatory. Footnotes are not recommended, except when necessary. If so-called “notes” need to be used, they should be indexed with Arabic numerals and are explained at the end of the article, before the references.
- The papers should be written without any handwriting and crossing out words, in good Bulgarian and, respectively, English, both in DOC and PDF format.
After the article is received, it is edited language- and style-wise. As for the Language the editor makes insignificant corrections since it is supposed that the papers are written in good Bulgarian and English. The articles in English can be returned for another check by the author. Authors confirm the suggestions for changes in style or mark what they disagree with.
Acceptable size of manuscripts:
- for articles – from 16 to 20 pages ;
- for micro articles, reviews and abstracts of dissertation papers - up to 10 pages.
Articles submitted for publishing must be original and not published before or in the process of reviewing and preparation for publishing in other publishing houses. Editors have the right to make insignificant editing corrections on the manuscript. After an article is accepted, authors must declare an agreement and give the publishing house the exceptional right for publishing. Authors can use the article or part of it in their future work without permission from the publishing house, but this would require citing the original article.